[Users] automatically changing From address

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Jun 4 00:30:21 CEST 2017

I have some Python scripts that I've been using for ages to do this, across
all my email addresses (yes, I do the same thing as you, but also have many
FLOSS project addresses).

This is a rough outline; the details are suppressed.  Put this in
~/.claws-mail/python-scripts/auto/compose_any and season to taste.

-----snip snip-----
from email.utils import parseaddr

DOT = '.'

for header, value in clawsmail.compose_window.get_header_list():
    header = header.lower()
    choice = None
    if header in ('to:', 'cc:'):
        realname, email = parseaddr(value.lower())
        local, at, domain = email.partition('@')
        superdomain = DOT.join(domain.split(DOT)[1:])
        organization = DOT.join(domain.split(DOT)[-2:])
        # Now you can test 'local', 'domain', 'superdomain', and
        # 'organization' with whatever conditionals you want, e.g.
        if domain == 'example.com':
            choice = 'foo at example.com'
        # ...
        if choice is not None:
            clawsmail.compose_window.set_from(choice)
            break
-----snip snip-----

Cheers,
-Barry