[Users] crash on Windows 8.1 caused by libcairo-2.dll

Andrej Kacian andrej at kacian.sk
Thu Jul 6 11:11:13 CEST 2017

On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 14:47:53 +0300
Cristian Secară <liste at secarica.ro> wrote:

> În data de Sun, 2 Jul 2017 12:16:57 +0200, Andrej Kacian a scris:
>
> > I would appreciate it if you could try to get a gdb backtrace with the
> > 32-bit build and the two provided debug files, perhaps the backtrace
> > will be something real then.
>
> Well, bad luck (so to say): I "installed" the 32bit version in
> Program Files (x86) (i.e. just unpacked there the package, no true
> install), run it, but this one worked well and didn't crash (or I was
> not able to crash it). Therefore, at least at first glance, it seems to
> be a 64bit-only trouble.

Oh well, I was hoping for a better backtrace, but no crash is also a
good outcome.

I have now uploaded the two non-stripped files to
http://claws-mail.org/win32/test/beta2-dlls-64bit/

Can you please try getting a gdb backtrace on 64-bit version with these?

> Other thing -- assuming I want to debug the 32bit version (just in
> case), I don't know where to get the 32bit gdb version, since the
> previously indicated place is a 64bit place only. I already have the
> MinGW package installed (done sometimes in the past), cannot remember
> which version, but it is not of much help either: running its gdb with
> Claws Mail 64bit says claws-mail.exe is not an executable (so it might
> be a 32bit MinGW), but running that gdb with Clasw Mail 32bit nothing
> happens, i.e. it does not launch anything. Perhaps a different syntax is
> required ?

The 32-bit gdb should be there as well, in files prefixed with "i686".

> > After one such crash, could you look in file claws-win32.log in your
> > TMPDIR, to see if there are any failed assertion warnings? There could
> > be something relevant there.
>
> Nothing useful, I suppose: the log is almost empty, such as
> C:\Users\secarica\AppData\Roaming\Claws-mail\clawsrc:
> or the same but added the last (?) selected folder before crash, such as
> C:\Users\secarica\AppData\Roaming\Claws-mail\clawsrc: selecting folder
> '#mh/liste/inbox\claws'

Ok. it was a long shot anyway - I found some older bugreport about
a similar crash where another symptom was certain failed assertion
warnings from pango, and wanted to rule it out.

> > [...] this bug is really bugging me - especially when I can not
> > reproduce it myself. :)
>
> Probably Windows 8+etc. is required ? This problem never occurred in
> Windows 7 (also 64bit, same hardware system).

That could very well be, and in that case, "tough luck" for me, I'm not
likely to have access to a Windows 8 or newer system anytime soon.
Although I know that there was at least one user (Gerard) who also has
crashes seemingly in libcairo DLL when viewing certain HTML messages. I
don't know if it is the same bug, or another one...

Regards,
--
Andrej