[Users] crash on Windows 8.1 caused by libcairo-2.dll

Andrej Kacian andrej at kacian.sk
Sun Jul 2 00:50:18 CEST 2017

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 01:28:08 +0300
Cristian Secară <liste at secarica.ro> wrote:

> > Thanks for the test. Could you also grab a windows version of GDB and
> > get a backtrace of the libcairo crash (with the "original" DLL from
> > our installer)? I can provide a DLL without the debug symbols
> > stripped, if needed.
>
> Yes, I think I can – just need to find a Windows build of GDB & to know what to do with it (currently I have no idea, since I never used it).

I've used the one at:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/External%20binary%20packages%20%28Win64%20hosted%29/gdb/

You need to make sure you have the correct one (32 or 64bit, depending
on which Claws Mail build you're running).

It is a commandline program, so run it in a cmd.exe window, with a full
path to claws-mail.exe as its only argument. In the gdb shell, just
type "run", and when you get a crash and get dumped back to the gdb
shell, you can get a backtrace with "bt" or "bt full". Or if you want
to see backtrace of all threads (Windows creates a lot of them),
"thread apply all bt".

I suggest starting with the 32-bit build. I have uploaded unstripped
claws-mail.exe and libcairo-2.dll to
http://claws-mail.org/win32/test/beta2-dlls-32bit
Using them instead of the DLLs from installer should give meaningful
backtraces in gdb.

I can upload more such DLLs as needed, but hopefully not all of them
(some are huge).

Regards,
--
Andrej