[Users] How to convert an account back to IMAP?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Jan 21 08:13:31 CET 2017

Hi all,

Today, my the folder list of my Claws-Mail quit showing numbers of new
and unread messages, although if I actually clicked the folder the new
and unread messages were there. To test whether it was Claws or my
Dovecot setup, I used Alpine: Alpine's folder list instantly recorded
new email.

In researching this, I discovered that my email account (called mydesk)
had magically changed from an IMAP account to a local account, as shown
by the screen produced when I do the following:

Configuration->Edit_Accounts->mydesk->Edit->Basic

The preceding screen shows server information to be "local mbox file"
with local mailbox /var/local, instead of protocol IMAP with a server
for receiving and a username and password.

So I created a new account called "testt" that was an IMAP account, and
testt acts normally and displays the number of new and unread messages
in the folder list. I could just keep using testt for the rest of my
life (or until testt magically changes), but I have an awful lot of
custom configuration in the mydesk account that I'd need to remember to
recreate in testt.

So tell me: Does anyone know how to convert a "local mbox file" based
account (back) to an IMAP based account? The IMAP and "local mbox file"
are not fields to be filled in on the screen I mentioned, but just text
on the screen. How does the account deduce its type: What data is it
looking at?

I looked in the manual but found nothing related to this.

Thanks,

SteveT