[Users] Both POP and IMAP access to the same account ?

Richard lists-claws at listmail.innovate.net
Sat Feb 25 15:01:03 CET 2017

<
> Ricardo,
>
> Understood.
>
> What i want to have is both fetures, (1) to maintain the mailbox
> serverside from desktop GUI (which means IMAP) and still keep the
> local archive even if those mails are removed by POP download.
> Basically contradictory.  I guess i finally have to migrate
> anything to IMAP anyway.
>
> But maybe there's a workaround until then ?
>
> I imagine that on travel, i work on laptop IMAP, but when beack
> home, and before POPping anything to the PC, i would copy the
> laptops IMAP folders to a local archive (adding to those mails
> already in there), which could be just a local mailbox.
>
> Is it possible to automate this copy to some degree, like with a
> filter or prcessing rule ?  I mean, triggered by a key shortcut or
> so, not at receive time. Just to avoid to have to select and drag
> mails of all folders manually.

The issue you are running into isn't a POP/IMAP one per se, rather
it's the server-side policy that has your (POP) mail deleted after 5
days. It's unusual to run both POP and IMAP against the same mail
store, but if the messages in the mail store aren't deleted by a POP
side policy then IMAP should be able to handle things more or less
ok. I think that messages will mostly be marked as "seen" when IMAP
views them, but that isn't generally an issue for desk/laptop clients
(though often is for mobile device ones). So, if you want to keep
both POP and IMAP accessing your mail you should see what you can do
about keeping the POP side from deleting the older mail.