[Users] HTML fancy doesn't work anymore

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Feb 1 09:05:37 CET 2017

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 16:42:16 -0800, sylpheed at 911networks.com wrote:
>But it was working earlier this morning and there was no change to CM.

You mentioned that you upgraded, are you sure that it wasn't upgraded?
When was the last time you closed and reopened Claws? Perhaps the
plugin was still loaded.

$ grep claws-mail /var/log/pacman.log | grep upgraded | tail

Paul posted a link to:

"13 days	upgpkg: claws-mail 3.14.1-2	andyrtr

disable fancy html plugin - Arch is dropping outdated webkitgtk due to
CVEs"

So assuming you upgraded from <= 3.14.1-1 to 3.14.1-2, it explains the
problem or if you upgraded in the past, but still run the not upgraded
version and closed and reopened Claws yesterday.

There's https://github.com/ilpianista/arch-audit , available by the AUR
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/arch-audit/ or
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/arch-audit-git/ and

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pkg-audit/, available by the AUR
https://github.com/jelly/pkg-audit .

Each time I upgrade by "pacman -Syu" (one "y" less than you are
using, since those appearing to be up-to-date, don't require a refresh),
I also run arch-audit. In this particular case arch-audit didn't output
"webkitgtk2", but usually it's an informatively tool.

Btw. sometimes a dependency of a dependency that isn't from official
repositories, but e.g. from AUR, could break an Arch install. There are
e.g. issues related to harfbuzz, if you are using freetype2-infinality,
without maintaining hafbuzz on your own. This harfbuzz issue isn't
related to claws-mail, but a well known example for the required
self-responsibility, when using a user-centric distro with unofficial
packages, since it could break many other packages.

Regards,
Ralf