[Users] aol smtp "ender address rejected: not logged in"

Jeremy Nicoll jn.ml.clwm.729 at letterboxes.org
Sat Aug 19 01:31:31 CEST 2017

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017, at 00:18, Michael Higgins wrote:

> Really, "not logged in"? WTF?

It's NORMAL to have to login to an SMTP server so that when it sends
your email
on your behalf, it has a reasonable belief that it knows who you are and
thus that
the emails you send through it can be attributed to you.

The mechanism is in particular used by mail providers who allow people
to send
emails from any 'from address'.    For example my emails' from-addresses
have
nothing to do with the ISP I use to connect to the internet.  Reputable
senders
need to know who is sending email, so they can attempt to prevent spam
from
being sent by their systems.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.