[Users] Suitability of using Claws instead of KMail ?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Apr 24 09:22:29 CEST 2017

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 16:40:25 +1000, Peter
<peter777 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using Mail on Kubuntu 16.04.1 and there are LOTS of problems. Has
> anyone on this list changed over from KMail please ?  I have looked
> here and there regards docs about this, but doesn't seem
> comprehensive. Or I looked in the wrong places, .. lol

I ran away from Kmail about the time they became Kmail2, and I've never
been sorry. Here's the story:

http://troubleshooters.com/lpm/201202/201202.htm

> Have installed Claws and it is now looking in my /home/****/Mail
> path, plus added a heap of files.  Anyway, I didn't want to get too
> bogged down initially with questions, but if there is a KMail/akonadi
> expert here, would much appreciate it.  (I have to restart the
> akonadi server many times each day, ..sigh).

Akonadi, Nepomuk, and out of control dbus-daemons are the reasons I
left Kmail. I don't think ANYBODY is an expert at these things. If
you're having akonadi problems, I suggest you get out of Kmail while it
still works.

The way I made the transition was:

1) Make a local Dovecot IMAP server

2) Nurse Kmail to work long enough to copy all my mailboxes in their
various trees to the local IMAP server.

3) Set up Claws-Mail to be able to interact with the local IMAP server.

I never copied the IMAP server account to Claws mailboxes: I just use
Claws as a window into my IMAP server. That way if I ever want to
switch from Claws to Alpine or Mutt, it's as easy as having Alpine or
Mutt look at the existing IMAP server account.Matter of fact, I have a
parallel Alpine email client looking at my IMAP all the time, in case
of troubleshooting or other questions.  Instead of using Claws
filters, I just use Procmail to distribute my mail to various boxes
within the IMAP server, so all my email gets properly organized, no
matter the email client I'm using..

Be sure you set your IMAP up as ssl only. Nobody needs to be sending
passwords in the clear.

HTH,