[Users] Running Clawsmail from boot

sue butler suevb01 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 19:28:30 CEST 2017

Hi
My aim is to run Claws from boot, and despite trying various methods I
just cant do it, I wonder whether anyone has any suggestions....

I am relatively new to the Raspberry Pi, Linux and Claws, but have
managed to work most things out.  I now have Clawsmail with the Python
Plugin running on a Raspberry Pi. (Noobs setup) It runs just fine, and I
am really pleased with it.  There are no issues at all when I start it
from the desktop screen.  I have a Python plugin script that runs when
email arrives from specific accounts .  This too works fine.

My problems arose when trying to start Clawsmail from boot...

Initially I thought the lack of success was my inability to use crontab
correctly, so downloaded the very simple Gnome Scheduler.  In this I
have tried 3 different approaches:
     Running the python script mentioned below
     Using a shell script
     Just putting "claws-mail"
At the moment I am trying to run these on an hourly schedule, rather
than on reboot, but none appear to work. (Other scripts, not related to
Claws, work fine.)

I have a simple Python3 script which is designed to check the internet
connection, and then start Claws. When it is run from the command line
it opens Claws, but with output:

/** (claws-mail:4201): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GtkCMUnit'
as enum when in fact it is of type 'gint'/

in this case, the prompt line reappears once Claws is loaded and the
warning has been printed out.  Claws appears to work normally.

When I start Claws from the command line using/$ claws-mail/ I get a
similar response, but the command line hangs until I use ^C although
Claws starts up and runs OK.
If I receive mail that triggers the Python Plugin before hitting ^C then
I get another line of output:

/sys:1: Warning:
/build/glib2.0-tTvduh/glib2.0-2.42.1/./gobject/gsignal.c:2540: handler
'4014' of instance '0x603300' is not blocked /

Sometimes I am then unable to shut claws down normally, after these
messages, and even "killing" it takes a long time. BUT if I close the
command line window after /$ claws-mail/ then Claws closes too.

I suspect that this is the reason that my attempts to run any programs
to start Claws from boot result in no action at all - .maybe Claws
opens, but then immediately shuts down?

Any advice gratefully received,

Thank you,
Sue