[Users] Autoconfig does not support port 465 in SRV record

Jack jaccode at virginmedia.com
Mon Apr 10 12:20:14 CEST 2017

Hello,

Virgin Media uses SSL/TLS on port 465 for email submission via SMTP:

$ dig _submission._tcp.virginmedia.com -t SRV +short
0 1 465 smtp.virginmedia.com.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/200300000001000/article/HELP-2203/Email-Settings-for-all-Virgin-Media-domains

Claws Mail supports SRV records for autoconfiguration. Unfortunately, it always assumes that STARTTLS (=explicit SSL/TLS) is used for SMTP. But in this case I need implicit SSL/TLS on port 465.

I would like to suggest that the autoconfig wizard in Claws Mail tests if STARTTLS works for SMTP. If it doesn't, it should try implicit SSL/TLS.

If this is not possible to implement, I suggest that implicit SSL/TLS is always used for port 465. It is very unlikely that someone would be running STARTTLS on port 465. Ports 25 and 587 are commonly used for STARTTLS.

--
Jack