[Users] Version 3.14.0, HTML messages & Fancy plugin

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:00:35 CEST 2016

> Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 20:19:46 -0400
> From: Steven Rostedt <rostedt at goodmis.org>
> To: Joe Khamis <joe at khamis.com.au>
> Cc: users at lists.claws-mail.org
> Subject: Re: [Users] Version 3.14.0, HTML messages & Fancy plugin
>
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 13:48:54 +1000
> Joe Khamis <joe at khamis.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Downloaded and compiled 3.14.0 today (Tumbleweed).
> >
> > No great dramas with the exception displaying HTML messages.
> >
> > I suspect it has to do with the 'Fancy' plugin.
>
> I have the exact same issue. When I did an update with Debian testing
> and it installed 3.14.0, Fancy stopped working. I've uninstalled then
> reinstalled, even tried to use an older version of claws-mail (which
> worked for a little).

Steve, (Joe, I've also CC'd you as I'm not sure you're subscribed to
the Claws Mail users list) I just installed 3.14.0 recently (on a
couple Ubuntu 14.04 systems) and here's a couple things that might help:

1) When you're able to run ./configure successfully, it gives some very
useful output at the end in relation to what was enabled or disabled,
based on whether the feature/plugin/etc.'s dependencies were found
installed on the system or not. If it shows that 'Fancy' is disabled,
then you can check the 'INSTALL' file in the source code package you
downloaded to see if there are additional things you need to install.
For this version, it shows that GTK+ WebKit (>= 1.0) is needed for the
Fancy plugin. So that would be the first thing I would check, to make
sure you've got that dependency installed. I'm not sure, but there's a
chance that if you didn't have it installed before, you would need to
run the ./configure process again and perhaps the whole install?

2) After completing #1 above (but before trying to view any HTML) on a
machine where I had been using the Fancy plugin already, I went to
Configuration --> Plugins and it showed the Fancy plugin entry in
italics and when it was selected, it gave a notice that it was
incompatible with this version of Claws Mail, or something to that
effect. This took me by surprise, since I had made sure with #1 above
that it was enabled in the build process. Thankfully, I figured out
that all I had to do was 'Unload' the plugin and then 'Load' it again
for the entry to appear in normal text and get rid of the warning.
Also, it seems to be working fine on my systems. The description for
the new working plugin starts with "This plugin renders HTML mail using
the WebKit 2.4.10 library." in case that's helpful in figuring out the
depend(s) you need for your system.

> Now, what I noticed is that every so often I get the following message
> in the window when I enable "remote content" (which I have disabled by
> default):
>
>   Problem occurred while loading the URL
>   file:///home/rostedt/.claws-mail/mimetmp/00000007.mimetmp.html
>
>   Error opening
> file /home/rostedt/.claws-mail/mimetmp/00000007.mimetmp.html: No such
> file or directory
>
> Then I try:
>
>  $ ls /home/rostedt/.claws-mail/mimetmp/
> 00000009.mimetmp.html  claws.DD3COY  claws.RPR6NY
>
> so somehow the file naming is getting out of sync. And yes, I checked
> that 00000009.mimetmp.html file, and it has the html of what is
> suppose to be displayed.

Not sure about this, but I'm guessing if you find a solution based on
what I wrote above, it will likely take care of this as well. Hope this
helps.

Dustin