[Users] search - how to

Michael A. Yetto myetto1 at nycap.rr.com
Sat Sep 17 15:13:40 CEST 2016

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 12:14:10 +0100
Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:

>Probably another dumb question, I'm afraid ...
>
>I'm trying to see whether I have ever received a message from a
>particular company, so I want to search all my messages for a From line
>containing a particular domain name. I can't figure out how to do this.
>
>I read the manual and tried the various things it mentioned.
>
>Search Folder is greyed out if I'm at the top Mailbox (MH) level, so
>how do I search all the folders instead of just one?
>
>I tried quick search but I can't persuade that to find part of a
>subject line in a subfolder, even with Recursive ticked.
>
>I tried Search Folder which pops up a dialog titled Search messages,
>which sometimes seems to find messages having a subject containing a
>string providing I am looking directly at the folder containing the
>message, but it doesn't even do that in all the folders (or maybe with
>all search strings).
>
>When I click on the help button on that dialog, it pops up a PCManFM
>window showing the root dorectory. What's that all about?
>
>I expect I've missed something obvious but would appreciate any
>pointers. claws 3.12.0 opensuse leap 42.1 lxde
>
>Thanks, Dave

You can always try
grep -Rl "^From:.*domaininquestion.com" Mail/
to get a list of files. That will answer your question, but notmany
others, directly.

Don't think outside the box, make a bigger box.

Mike  Yetto
--
"It is not the antiquity of a tale that is an evidence of its truth; on
the contrary, it is a symptom of its being fabulous."