[Users] Claws fails to autostart under LXDE.

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Sep 11 06:08:16 CEST 2016

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 13:44:33 +1000, 52midnight wrote:
>If the WM and the DE are in a happy marriage, the third point should be
>a single issue. If they're in a conflicted relationship there'll be
>three: between the App and the WM, between the App and the DE, and
>between the App and the lawyers for the others.

The issue is caused by LXDE. You might use a version of LXDE where
~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart isn't used anymore, but
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXSession#Autostarted_applications_using_lxsession
mentions issues with desktop files.

>Who doesn't need to care? I'm from an older generation in which the
>developers of an app would accept responsibility for its behaviour in
>any and every environment, even if only out of curiosity. You seem to
>be from the modern generation which says that "If I don't understand it
>then it's not my problem". Both are valid points of view. I'm a
>newcomer here and I'll let the Claws community decide where they stand.

I'm a dino and try to explain that the issue is neither related to
Claws, nor to openbox.

Openbox does use $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart to autostart apps.

Upstream of apps can't care about all desktop environments. The spirit
of a desktop environment is the user-friendliness you want to get. It's
the task of your desktop environment to fit to your needs, so your
request belongs to the desktop environment.

Regards,
Ralf