[Users] Claws fails to autostart under LXDE.

52midnight 52midnight at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 20:32:44 CEST 2016

My second gripe is a configuration issue that may not be entirely Claws
fault. When first I installed it, it refused to start under LXDE using
the standard procedure of inserting a link to the
/usr/share/applications/ .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart/. I
posted a thread at LxQ about it:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/problems-with-iceweasel-and-clawsmail-in-lxde-4175587963/

... and finally solved it by using an xterm with an exec command. It
was caused by the invocation line in the .desktop file:

Exec=claws-mail %u

Deleting the %u allowed it to start. Not sure just who gets to wear
this, but my first reaction was to toss out Claws and try Evolution
instead, which had worse problems. May well be that others have ditched
it for the same reason.

I've noticed other apps using capital-U - %U - but haven't investigated
the Open Desktop standard parameter list.

Carl