[Users] broken links in emails

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Thu Sep 1 00:18:28 CEST 2016

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 22:41:04 +0200
Andrej Kacian <andrej at kacian.sk> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 21:30:15 +0100
> Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > So this seems to be an easy to reproduce 100% bug in claws. I'm
> > amazed if it hasn't been seen before.
>
> Or it could be a bug in whatever browser handles the request. I can't
> reproduce this either, in plaintext nor a html message. Try running
> claws-mail with --debug option from the terminal, to see what URL gets
> passed to xdg-open.

Well, I'm making progress. I've never come across xdg-open before so
I'm working a bit blind.

claws-mail --debug indicates that the correct URL is getting passed
out. Let's say:

http://example.com/search.cgi?fred=wilma&barney=betty

Specifically, it logs

utils.c:3382:execute_command_line(): executing: xdg-open
http://scop.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/search.cgi?fred=wilma&barney=betty

and what is passed to firefox has the backslashes inserted.

If I turn off Use system defaults where possible
in Configuration/Preferences/External Programs then what is logged is

utils.c:3382:execute_command_line(): executing: firefox
http://example.com/search.cgi?fred=wilma&barney=betty

and the URL is passed as is to Firefox (i.e. works)

Running sh -x xdg-open shows that it edits the argument but I haven't
figured out why or how to stop it doing that.