[Users] Workaround for slow message list scroll and message display

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Oct 12 14:47:55 CEST 2016

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 08:35:01 +0200, Ralf Mardorf
<silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 02:08:07 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> >I've been in the code, trying to make one of the searches recursive,
> >and it's too much for me.
>
> Hi,
>
> I would start troubleshooting even without using a debugger, let
> alone reading the code...
>
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 07:53:56 +0200, wwp wrote:
> >What you're describing sounds to me like a desktop system that loads
> >more in memory than it could/should, thus swapping.
>
> ...by e.g. running
>
>  df -h
>
>  free
>
>  top
>
> and when running top, first stay with my default, sorted by CPU usage
> and then push Shift+M, to sort by memory usage. Perhaps something
> requires much CPU and/or memory resources. Maybe you did this already,
> but since you didn't mention any troubleshooting at all, I assume you
> didn't.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Sounds reasonable. Instead of doing my daily prophylactic restart, I'll
let it happen again, run the commands you mention, restart it, rerun
your commands, and exploit the differences. Naturally I'll keep you in
the loop.

You're right: Once I found the workaround, I troubleshot no more,
because the workaround scratched my itch.

SteveT

Steve Litt
== Whose business shall never be mentioned on the Claws-Mail List ==

--
SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28