[Users] Fedora 25 upgrade renders Claws Mail unusable

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Nov 25 11:51:17 CET 2016

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 12:20:08 -0500, George Avrunin wrote:

> To clarify edwardp's comment, I think what happened is that Fedora 24
> came with 3.13.2, and there was an upgrade to 3.14 in late September that
> got applied.  For some reason, Fedora 25 has (at the moment) only 3.13.2,
> so someone who had upgraded to 3.14 and then moved from Fedora 24 to Fedora
> 25 got claws-mail downgraded from 3.14 to 3.13.2.
>
> There were some other problems with updates being pushed to Fedora 24
> before the release of 25 that didn't get into 25 (e.g., with rpm-python),
> so maybe this is another such problem.  (A claws-mail-3.14.0-1.fc25
> package was built on koji.fedoraproject.org on September 22, the same date
> as the one for Fedora 24, but it didn't make it into Fedora 25 or, as yet,
> into the Fedora 25 updates repo.)  I don't know anything about why it
> causes the problem with the protocol setting, though.  (I'm holding off on
> going to Fedora 25 for a few days until things like this settle down.)

Claws Mail 3.14.0 had been released as an update for multiple distribution
releases, including Fedora 25. It's just that the Fedora 25 update has
been stuck in the update-testing repository due to not getting enough
karma points from testers. Unlike the Fedora 24 update, which had entered
the stable updates repo in early October automatically.

So, some users may have come from an up-to-date Fedora 24 when doing the
distribution upgrade to the brand-new Fedora 25. Usually, it's a smart
idea to apply zero day updates and also any pending Test Updates.
Unfortunately, the users, who run into such a corner-case breakage during
a distribution, avoid the updates-testing repo like the plague.