[Users] double-clicking on displayed text?

wwp subscript at free.fr
Thu Nov 17 10:24:44 CET 2016

Hello Paul, all,

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:03:08 +0000 Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 08:53:45 +0000
> Keith Edmunds <kae at midnighthax.com> wrote:
>
> > I can't answer for Olivier, but I do. Depends on the definition of
> > "often", but maybe a couple of times a week.
>
> That is surprising.
>
> > The bigger problem, IMO, is user expectation. Muscle memory "knows"
> > that double clicking on a word selects it,
>
> Muscle memory also knows that holding the button down and dragging
> also selects.
>
> > and double clicking on a
> > word and dragging will select in word sized chunks. That's not the
> > case in Claws.
>
> I don't even know what you mean here. Nothing I normally use does
> anything different from Claws Mail here. I can drag a selected
> word from another msg and drop it here.

Yep, but that depends on muscle education. It's all about subjectivity
in a world where several "standards" (or uses) live together.

To me, double, triple, quadruple click does select word, line/phrase,
paragraph/other scope (in word selection, I often stick on what the app
use as word delimiter!). It Claws Mail (and it's GTK+2 behaviour, I
presume), it's: word then line, and it's fine.

Double-clicking a quote introduces a behaviour that obviously conflicts
with selecting. The question is: do we have to train ourself to be used
to that second context behaviour or do we make it less conflicting?

I regularly (not often but still) double click a quote word and
collapse it instead of selecting it, stupid me! Then I remember that I
have to click-hold then select because it's a quote. If I would have to
use this more often, I would train my memory more to the fact that
double-click does collapse and maybe I will succeed. But each time I
face this, a little voice in my head says "couldn't collapsing quotes
be on shift+double-click or another-button [double-]clic or even a
context-menu action?

Please note that I'm only sharing my experience and ideas with you, I
do not know the Truth about it and still I'm w/o real conviction about
what could be better or do we have to change the way it currently works.

Regards,

--
wwp