[Users] How to purge deletions?

Chad Wallace cwallace at lodgingcompany.com
Tue Nov 15 18:08:49 CET 2016

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 20:52:36 -0500
Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> On deletions, I *don't* use the "move to trash immediately" feature,
> so my deleted emails are simply marked. I like that better in case of
> accidental deletions.
>
> However, it seems like those marked deletions stay in my folders
> forever, with no way of getting rid of them. I can use "hide deleted"
> to hide them, but when I uncheck and recheck "hide deleted", the old
> deleted emails are visible while there's no hiding.

To delete messages that have been marked for deletion, use
Tools -> Expunge (Ctrl-E for me).

To move messages to Trash after they have been marked for that, use
Tools -> Execute (X for me).

> Does anyone have any tips how to purge very old deletions while
> retaining the "modern" ones?

Both commands cited above will affect every message that you've marked
in the respective manner, regardless of age or duration of having been
marked.

If you want only some deleted messages to be deleted, you may have to
create your own system for that, perhaps with processing rules or a
scripting engine.

--

C. Chad Wallace, B.Sc.
The Lodging Company