[Users] Help

Abhay S. Kushwaha clawsmail at kushwaha.com
Tue Nov 15 12:42:14 CET 2016

On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 10:26:01 -0800, oao at csi.com wrote:

> I am using the Windows version.
>
> Is there any way --either during installation or after-- to
> configure Claws-Mail to store the messages and settings on a custom
> partition/drive other than the system partition? I have not found
> any option to do so, but I know it is possible.

First, let's understand what's where. You need two folders:
 1. Claws-Mail
    typically in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\
 2. Mail
    typically in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\ as well

#1 is your config directory. #2 is your mailbox folder.

Let's change both.

First, exit Claws.

Now, move Claws-Mail (config) to anywhere you want. Let's say we
moved it to D:\Claws-Mail. Now, set-up a link to that folder in your
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\ folder:
 1. Make sure you're in admin cmd
 2. cd c:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\
 3. mklink /d Claws-Mail D:\Claws-Mail

Next, let's move the Mail folder. Let's say we moved it to D:\Mail

Now open up folderlist.xml in your D:\Claws-Mail\ folder and edit
your mailbox path. It'll be line 3 in that file. It'll look like
this:
 <folder type="mh" path="C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Mail"

After change, it'll look like this:
 <folder type="mh" path="D:\Mail"

If you have additional mailboxes, you need to do this for each of
them. Most people have a single mailbox. I'll assume you have 1.

Save. Exit. Start Claws. Enjoy.