[Users] Claws Mail 3.14.1 unleashed!!

Steffen Klemer moh at gmx.org
Thu Nov 10 14:04:06 CET 2016

Am Thu, 10.11.2016 um 13:39 schrieb Andrej Kacian <andrej at kacian.sk>:

> What you're asking for is having "selecting", and then "another kind
> of selecting", and have each of these two behave differently - which
> is obviously confusing for a new user.

No, not really. Yes, this would solve my problem. Great and thank
you ;). (honestly! Claws is by far the most used and greatest piece of
software of my life)

But I'm trying to make a point that 'Go to' is something different then
select. If I take your argument a bit further it would mean that the
preview should not show the mail when I click on (select) a mail in the
list. If I think about it ... the current, new behavior should be called
'select next message', 'select next unread'. And the old behavior 'go to
next'...

I'm still struggling to find a use case for 'select next message'.

> I know where you're coming from, this change has affected my workflow
> as well, but reverting it is not a good idea. We're probably going to
> add additional option(s) to allow tweaking this behaviour in more
> detail, but it takes time to come up with a design that makes sense,
> and at the same time doesn't require the user to have a degree in
> Claws Mail internals.

Actually, what is most disturbing for me with the new setting is the
automatic select and open of a message when I open a folder. This
removes the 'unread' status of a more or less random-felt mail (depends
on unread and unseen status. Setting 'mark unread after 1s' or so also
doesn't help for my use case of going back to my default mailbox after
checking the others.

I see the point that it would also be confusing NOT to select and open
a mail when opening a folder. Actually this was changed some years ago
to the current behavior to stay consistent.

But anyway -- it breaks my user experience :P. I don't like it if
something happens magically without me noticing it. And this is the
case now when opening a folder (having 'open selected mail' und 'mark
unread' enabled).

Steffen

 /\                        - against proprietary attachments