[Users] Claws Mail 3.14.1 unleashed!!

Andrej Kacian andrej at kacian.sk
Thu Nov 10 13:39:41 CET 2016

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 13:01:02 +0100
Steffen Klemer <moh at gmx.org> wrote:

> Am Mon, 07.11.2016 um 15:11 schrieb Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk>:
>
> > > I could just
> > > browse through the next messages using "N" (and opening it).
> >
> > Currently you will need to press N and then Enter.
> >
> > > 	The old behaviour was so much better (select message when
> > > going to the next message, but not selecting when clicking on a
> > > folder).
> >
> > A stronger argument was given: "I've specifically asked it not to
> > open messages, but it does anyway". This was the previous,
> > inconsistent method, which was just wrong.
>
> Depends on your view. I always used 'go to' Next/Prev/Next Unread as a
> way to navigate while reading and found it pretty obvious that 'Next
> Msg' navigates to AND opens it. What would be the use case otherwise?
>
> When I wanted to quickly go through the Msg-List without viewing Mails I
> used up/down (and the setting to not open them). It was pretty handy to
> have both possibilities and made keyboard-only life so much easier.
>
> I honestly don't see the point of entangling the 'go to'-items with the
> cursor-navigation. They are a different thing. The option reads 'open
> when selected'. I don't 'select' with the 'go to' items. I go to them...
> (IMHO)

Yes, you go to the item with the cursor, which means you select it. And
then you open it.

What you're asking for is having "selecting", and then "another kind of
selecting", and have each of these two behave differently - which is
obviously confusing for a new user.

I know where you're coming from, this change has affected my workflow
as well, but reverting it is not a good idea. We're probably going to
add additional option(s) to allow tweaking this behaviour in more
detail, but it takes time to come up with a design that makes sense,
and at the same time doesn't require the user to have a degree in Claws
Mail internals.

--
Andrej