[Users] How to place mailboxes in hidden folder

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Tue Mar 29 14:23:25 CEST 2016

Bonjour,

Le Tue, 29 Mar 2016 11:41:12 +0100
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> a écrit:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 12:26:29 +0200
> Albert ARIBAUD <albert.aribaud at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > I am not forgetting it; but not all CM users read this list, and I
> > strongly suspect that many who arrive on this list do not read past
> > archives and therefore are not exposed to the information that
> > developers and regulars of the list may have posted (I'm pretty sure
> > even regulars do not read every single mail on the list). So just
> > because there are people who can tell CM users, or even have told
> > some CM users, that putting mail and config file in a single
> > directory works, does not mean that everyone here knows this too.
>
> But we're on the list right now! Those who do read the list archives
> should be able to find useful information, but what Chris Hirst wrote
> was wrong and misleading, which makes reading the archive less useful.

I don't see what exactly Chris wrote that was wrong or misleading.
Actually, I have commented on what Chris wrote and explained why it was
neither wrong (from a *user* perspective, it *is* wiser to keep config
and mail in separate folders than to store them in a single folder
since it ifollows the CM default more closely, and default is, even if
marginally, a relatively safer bet) nor misleading (Chris' suggestion of
separating config and mail data does have any downside with respect to
what Claws Mail does by default).

> > Yes, even after your original response, first because "why" isn't
> > much of an informative response, and second and more seriously,
> > because whether the user *can* use a full path does not mean (s)he
> > *knows* (s)he can at the moment (s)he wants to.
>
> "why" isn't much of an informative response, but since I'd just
> written the orignal response it didn't seem necessary to repeat it
> all over again just to qualify my question when it was there in the
> thread already.

Your original answer was about dotted subdirs in a mailbox path, but
did not include any statement on whether CM's config and mail folders
could or could not be the same. You may have assumed that this was
implicit, but the problem with implicit is that not everyone may see it
the way you do.

Which is why, at the risk of repeating myself, I prefer being explicit,
starting with the initial and additional mailbox creation dialogs where
explicit user information could be added regarding the possibility of
putting config and mail data together in a single directory.

> with regards
>
> Paul

Amicalement,
--