[Users] Claws crashes because it's already running?

Graham P Davis newsboy at scarlet-jade.com
Sun Mar 27 17:12:09 CEST 2016

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 01:41:42 +0100
Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 20:00:08 +0000
> Graham P Davis <newsboy at scarlet-jade.com> wrote:
>
> > Claws sometimes just freezes for a few minutes and then disappears
> > from the screen. The error message that I get when running from the
> > console is a little confusing:
> >
> > claws.c:102:Starting Claws Mail version Claws Mail 3.13.2
> > utils.c:1802:using default rc_dir /home/graham/.claws-mail
> > main.c:2177:Using control
> > socket /tmp/claws-mail-2000/ca5d42c47df9fea238d06858b40ea873
> > main.c:2272:another Claws Mail instance is already running.
> >
> > No message as to why it stopped but says it can't start because it
> > hasn't stopped? what's that all about? why is it trying to start if
> > it hasn't stopped?
>
> Seems it crashed without being able to delete the control socket.
>
> You can remove that /tmp/claws-mail-2000 directory by hand and launch
> it from a console under gdb to get a stack trace, see the debugging
> FAQ¹ for further details.
>
> regards,
>
> ¹ http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Debugging_Claws

Thanks, I've done that although there was no sign in /tmp/ of the
directory you mentioned or the one that Ralf added.

I've been running in debug mode for about four days now and, of course,
nothing has happened. Usually, I'd have expected several failures by
now. Reminds me of debugging Fortran many years ago by inserting print*
statements which then prevent the program failing. Sigh!

Anyway, I thought I'd better say something in case you thought I'd
forgotten you. I'll keep this test going and let you know when I get a
failure; it's bound to happen sooner or later, isn't it?

--
Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
OS: Linux: openSUSE 13.2 (64-bit); KDE 4.14.9; Kernel: 3.16.7