[Users] Problem opening some attachments

Brad Rogers brad at fineby.me.uk
Wed Mar 23 08:50:34 CET 2016

On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 18:01:10 -0300
Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI <renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:

Hello Renaud,

>Thanks for the pointer. But...

YW.

>Opened ~/.mailcap with vi, and noticed there is already there a line:
>video/mp4; vlc '%s'

First possibility is that my memory is flawed, and editing .mailcap
isn't correct.  Another is that the video is coming in with a different
mimetype; either audio/mp4 or application/mp4, so there's no match with
anything in your .mailcap.  Both mimetypes are valid, but shouldn't be
used if the file actually contains video(1).  However, a lazy programmer
might use application/mp4 as a 'catchall'.

Beyond that, I'm out of ideas.

(1)  I did a very quick 'net search, so don't consider this
authoritative.

--
 Regards  _
Walking through town is quite scary