[Users] Multiple addresses.

Michael codejodler at gmx.ch
Thu Mar 3 13:02:52 CET 2016

It's a lotta hell to automaticly figure out what user wants to do exactly when multiple reply options exist.
Even for the user herself, it might be not obvious and need secnd thought.

Realistically, there's no way any auto-configuring would hit the desired solution in 100% of the cases. Perhaps not even 90%.

It means a lot of difficult code leading to just more confusion, and feature requests, and discussions.

I suggest

(1)  Using the "put into queue before sending" configuration option, and have a second look when unsure.

(2) Make use of right-click on certain address then chose "reply to"

We had a similar discussion in a file manager devel list about the options of drag&drop. A detail of the problem was the unsafe handling of drag actions by touchpad or touchscreen. The same would apply to claws, albeit maybe even more in the future than today.

After extensive discussion, we went with the way KDE is doing it right now: Simply asking, offering the available choices (including 'cancel').

So,

(3) If a MUA would have to come up with a something like a 'clean and bulletproof solution' then it should be, pop up a checkbox list of possible recipients and let the user chose. It's ok if the selection method that's in place right now have it pre-checked; and the user only needs to hit 'OK' and most cases.

I'm pretty sure there's not other way to avoid endless discussions and 'fixes' for a myriad of exceptions.