[Users] IMAP password length?

George Avrunin avrunin at math.umass.edu
Wed Jun 15 17:46:14 CEST 2016

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 16:34:44 +0200, Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 03:36:57PM +0200, mir at miras.org wrote:
> […]
> > But maybe this then:
> >
> > "If you have 2-Step Verification on your Google Account, you might need an
> > App Password to sign in"
> > https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960?hl=en
>
> That "App Password" would require support on Claws Mail side, which is
> not currently implemented.
>
> The way to go is to allow to "unsafe" apps to access your IMAP account.
>
> regards,

I don't think that's correct.  You can have Google give you an "app
password", which you then use for the password you enter in setting up the
imap account.  Claws treats it as a standard imap password, and Google then
allows Claws to read and send mail through gmail.  You don't have to allow
"unsafe" apps in general, and can keep 2-factor authentication.

  George