[Users] IMAP password length?

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Wed Jun 15 12:04:13 CEST 2016

Hi Paul,

Le Wed, 15 Jun 2016 09:31:04 +0100
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> a écrit:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 10:18:18 +0200
> Albert ARIBAUD <albert.aribaud at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > An encoding issue maybe, if the pwd contains non-ASCII characters?
>
> Is that a pure guess? Do you have any reason to think an encoding
> issue is likely?

No, it's not a pure guess, and no, I don't have any reason to think an
encoding issue is likely.

I do, however, have reasons for thinking it is /possible/.

The reasons I have are, precisely, more than one past experience with
non-ASCII password (mis-)encoding in various password use scenarios,
not necessarily related to mail.

Note that I'm not implying that Claws Mail might mis-encode non-ASCII
passwords, mind you; mis-encoding could happen just as well on the web
page or in the shell where the password is /set/. I am just saying that
there are 'opportunities' for mis-encoding, and that knowing whether
the password is ASCII or not can help either discard or consider the
possibility.

> with regards
>
> Paul

Amicalement,