[Users] Migrate to new installation, extract attachments

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Jul 23 00:31:11 CEST 2016

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 23:24:57 +0200, Felipe T. Dorado wrote:
>	- copy  old /home/user/.clawsmail to the new /home/user
>	- copy the whole old /Mail to the new /home/user directory.
>
>And that's it. I have my new clawsmail working as usual : )  Great!
>
>Is that _the_ way to do it or is there a better way?

That's the way to do it.

However, it's important to know how the copy command works. While
globbing shouldn't be an issue, the uid could be one, depending from
were you copy, since the uid not necessarily is always 1000. IOW
it should be considered to copy with root privileges and the -p
option. I would use the -p option anyway,
"-p same as --preserve=mode,ownership,timestamps".

So the copy command after su or sudo would be

  cp -pr /path/of/old/dir/ /path/to/new/

Assumed you're using a plugin, you might need to copy additional
directories/files. I for example use bogofilter to sort out spam. The
directory to copy is ~/.bogofilter/.

Regards,
Ralf