[Users] Strange display flickering.

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Jul 20 23:20:04 CEST 2016

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gtk+3.0 is 3.20. Assumed you should
use a GTK2/GTK3 theme, it could be, that it is now broken for GTK2
app. I don't know if this could cause flickering. I don't think so, but
you never know. The upgrade from 3.18 to 3.20 has broken some GTK2/GTK3
themes, let alone that some GTK3 apps are discontinued.

On Arch Linux I needed to downgrade gnome-themes-standard, since
Adwaita became a PITA, but it doesn't flicker.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep gtk-theme .gtkrc-2.0
gtk-theme-name = "Adwaita"
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Q claws-mail-git openbox
claws-mail-git 3.13.2.r1.geb08800-1
openbox 3.6.1-3
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep downg /var/log/pac*|grep gnome-t|head -n1
[2016-04-12 09:33] [ALPM] downgraded gnome-themes-standard (3.20-1 -> 3.18.0-1)

FWIW from a user's point of view, there's no big difference between
openbox and jwm. They are similar WMs, both are stable and I guess jwm
is more lightweight, than openbox. Consider to install it for testing
purpose.

Regards,
Ralf

--