[Users] password protection

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Fri Jan 29 22:18:39 CET 2016

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 21:57:13 +0100 Michael wrote:

>ssh login seems to be an interesting option.

For completeness, I used to simply "su - userid2"; but using ssh means I
can use the same method locally and from a remote system with X
forwarding.

>But i have to clarify that the password protected claws needs read &
>write access to all the main user folders. I'm not going to explain "You
>have to save to this folder alone" and "You can't attach a file from
>there". The result will be, they stop doing mail, because it's a hassle,
>not fun - end of story. Alternatively, they probably ask me to screw
>passwords.

Standard linux security...  allow parent userid access to child userids;
but not the other way.

>I guess i can use group permissions and umask settings in ~/.profile
>making anything rw for the group. (Does claws respect umask settings ?)

All programs are subject to u|g|o permissions.

>So then there would be ssh into another account just to have a password
>barrier ... i'm not convinced if it's not overkill. And i wanted to
>avoid double user shizophrenia somehow :)  But, let's see if it works.
>(I need a testbed on one of my machines)

Let the kids have one machine normally. You can access you CM via ssh
from that machine, a different one, or from a remote location...

Once you see it in action, you'll see how easy it is..  :)