[Users] Scary composer feature: disappearing address fields

blind Pete peter_s_d at fastmail.com.au
Fri Jan 29 08:18:04 CET 2016

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 11:45:03 -0700
Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 19:36:51 +0100
> wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:
>
> >Hello Charlie,
> >

> >On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 11:30:38 -0700 Charlie Kravetz
> ><cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> >> Instead of designing for the smallest possible device, designing
> >> for usability would work. The area used to be 5 lines, now it
> >> defaults to two. Taking it back to 5 lines would eliminate most of
> >> these issues.
> >>

> >> - --
> >> Charlie Kravetz
> >> Linux Registered User Number 425914
> >> [http://linuxcounter.net/user/425914.html]
> >> Never let anyone steal your DREAM.   [http://keepingdreams.com]
> >
> >The ruler still exist to make more room.
> >
> >And it's not really 2 in fact, it's N+1, where N is the necessary
> >sufficient number of recipient header(s) following the context (1
> >when composing, 1 or more when replying, etc.). +1 being for a new
> >recipient to add.
> >

> >Regards,
> >

> Whatever you choose to call it, it causes many false bug reports and
> issues for users. Expanding it to "If >= 5 then N+1 else 5" would help
> greatly.

That tripped me up too when CM was new to me, and I am not
a naive computer user.

If CM could be shipped with a slightly different default
configuration it would cause less worry to newbies and be of
no detriment to seasoned users.  Make the top pane big
enough for about four and a half fields.  Everyone would
be free to adjust it when they work out that it can be
adjusted.  Existing users would not see any change at all.

Personally my choice would involve a lot of hard work by
other people - so has little chance of being implemented.

Is it possible to make it visually obvious that scrolling
has occurred?  There are *many* ways to do it visually,
but most would involve a lot of work.  If anyone wants to
barnstorm, I'll contribute that much.

--
testing
bP