[Users] password protection

Andrej Kacian andrej at kacian.sk
Thu Jan 28 21:25:56 CET 2016

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 21:16:13 +0100
Michael <codejodler at gmx.ch> wrote:

> No, folks, look.
>
> They will not do log in and out.
>
> And the account i'm talking about already IS a private account on a private computer. In technical terms, the security already is 100% comopromised, as standard situation. It's just they don't do any tedious stuff. They leave the desktop to each other all the time. They leave the desktop online, and walk away. Or the kids ask, can we watch youtube or play games on your computer and yes, of course. Then they occupy it maybe for hours.
> Please note that it's not their concern, to begin with, it's rather only me acting out as their tech department. So there has to be the most minimal requirement to the owner, and that's only typing in a password, one time.
>
> Don't tell me how this is wong or should be taken at the roots. Believe me: It's useless. That's just a family reality where both parents have jobs, and lots of other things up, and kids in difficult age, and they simply can't enforce any additional rules beyond the most essential basics (and not even these ...) It's probably an average chaos, with more than 2 kids.
>
> They still are nice people, all of them, and so its simply my challenge to make it as easy as possible.

I'm not going to tell you what you should or shouldn't do as a parent,
but in my opinion, this is the perfect opportunity to teach them about
user accounts - they will encounter them throughout their entire life.

Create an account for each of them, they don't even have to be
password-protected. Let them choose a cute icon for the account (most
login managers allow this) and desktop background, so that they feel
that the account is "theirs".

Worked great for my kid sister back in the day - I still remember how
she loved to log in by clicking on a cute green frog picture (it was one
of stock selectable user images in Windows XP). Nowadays, she has a kid
of her own. :)

Regards,
--
Andrej