[Users] password protection

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Thu Jan 28 20:36:50 CET 2016

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 20:14:15 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 11:00:50 -0800, Dan Lyke wrote:
>>But if you're asking how to run Claws as a different user than the one
>>currently logged in to the X desktop, I don't think this is a huge
>>problem. You should be able to set up a script that can "sudo -u
>>restricteduser claws-mail".
>
>Somebody once called "xhost +" a sledgehammer, however, if you prefer
>to do so, you could use xhost more carefully, but it works.
>
>I'm not running claws this way, but sylpheed and a few other apps.
>
>[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep -v "#" /usr/local/bin/chuser
>

>xhost +
>gksudo -u chuser "$*"
>xhost -
>exit
>
>[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep chuser .config/fbpanel/default | head
>-n2
>	  action = chuser sylpheed
>	  action = chuser qupzilla

PS: This means the password is the password of the current user, not of
the user named chuser, so you can not protect different instance of
claws with different passwords, you just could provide one instance
without password protection and another one that is protected.
Unfortunately gksudo etc. require xhost, the command line sudo in any
case requires xhost.