[Users] claws mail question

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Mon Jan 4 14:38:49 CET 2016

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 13:56:34 +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:
>I run an IMAP server at home where all my mail is stored, and backed up
>frequently both locally and to a remote host. Once set up it works
>like a charm.

In this case I wouldn't call IMAP a PITA, but since I don't have my own
server, I prefer POP over IMAP.

Perhaps the OP doesn't need to sync the Windows and the Linux Claws,
then the OP could consider to only allow one Claws to delete the mails
from the POP server, the other just downloads the mails, and assumed
this claws is used to send mails, then auto-Bcc to archive the mails
with the other Claws.

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 13:36:54 +0100, Michael wrote:
>Well, FAT ... on a local machine in a trusted environment, there's
>probably no issues with permissions.
>
>Except that your FAT mails can be hacked by Windows viruses anytime
>(and there i agree to Ralf, i won't do critical stuff on a Windows
>OS). And there we are, you can talk a lot about the advantages of
>Windows - and then it's virus, game over.

A shared directory on an Ext partition doesn't protect against a‮
Windows virus either, but it allows to manage mails in a better way for
the Linux version of Claws and there's no drawback for the Windows
version of Claws, excepted that some obscure security thingy for
Windows XP successors needs to be disabled, but all those Windows
inventions regarding security are anyway discussable.

I already fear to buy a new mobo for my Linux, regarding the (U)EFI,
secure boot crap. OTOH I prefer MBR over anything else, I'll stay <= 1
TiB forever.

The OP could consider to run Windows in a VM on a Linux host, but this
might ship with serious performance issues. However, at least one VM,
virtualbox, allows to share folders in a very simple way, read/write by
the guest and host at the same time. Hardware that require windows
drivers would be another issue.

Perhaps the thread is far too off-topic.

Actually the correct answer to the original question is to use IMAP and
nothing else. There might be POP solutions either, perhaps even using
links as I do between two Linux installs would work, but this isn't the
common approach for this kind of MUA sync.