[Users] claws mail question

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Mon Jan 4 10:49:33 CET 2016

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 09:00:39 +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:
>The easiest way to do this would be to use IMAP, as Ralf also
>suggested, then all the mail would be on the server.

IMO using IMPA isn't easy, it's a PITA, but for this particular
situation likely the second best solution. The best solution would be
not to use a MUA with Windows at all.

And as already pointed out, it's possible to keep POP mails also on the
server and to Bcc each mail send to somebody to yourself, but I
wouldn't call this real sync.

>That seems to me to be a better method than sharing a directory between
>two installs.

Two or more Linux installs on the same machine, that never will run at
the same time and always use the same version of Claws (compiled by
the user, using the same configuration), could share directories
without issues, without a risk, for mails and preferences. That's what
I'm doing. I even share bogofilter data without taking care about the
installed versions. Just sharing the mail folders I even shared POP
account mails with different versions of Evolution, but this might be
risky.

On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 21:27:47 -0700, work at mykot.com wrote:
>>The partition was set up as FAT32 so both windows and linux could
>>access the files

No, don't use FAT, test using EXT, to at least store permissions and
owners and perhaps nowadays even journaling is supported. However,
until nobody confirms that sharing folders between Claws for Windows
and for Linux could be shared, consider to use IMAP or to drop using a
MUA on Windows at all.