[Users] Strange characters displayed in email

»Q« boxcars at gmx.net
Sat Feb 20 19:56:31 CET 2016

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 17:10:32 -0500
Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 14:05:17 -0600, »Q« replied:
>
> > That will force Fancy to treat it as UTF-8, but my guess is that
> > it's really Windows-1252.  If using
> > makes it look okay, then my guess is probably right, but to tell for
> > sure would require looking at the raw message in a hex editor.
> > (OTOH, if changing the encoding to Windows-1252 doesn't make it
> > look okay, my guess is almost certainly wrong -- I say 'almost'
> > because I don't know how changing the viewer encoding in Claws
> > affects Fancy.)
>
> Nothing I change the encoding to in claws-mail makes any difference.
> It does display perfectly in MS Outlook though. The culprit is
> probably WebKit, but I don't have a clue how to prove it.

If you want to send it to me as an attachment, I can probably figure
it out.  I'm not a developer, just some guy on a mailing list, so
there's no real reason to trust me -- all you've got is my word that
I'd keep the contents confidential.  Also, you've probably got nothing
to gain by sending it to me other than hopefully satisfying curiosity;
almost certainly, knowing what it it is won't lead to being able to do
anything about it.

My guess at this point (and it's only a guess) is that the sender has
created the content in Word using Windows-1252 then used Outlook to
mail it, and that Outlook didn't manage to either change the encoding in
its MIME headers from UTF-8 to Windows-1252 or to convert the content
to UTF-8.