[Users] Font ugliness coming in Ubuntu 16.04?

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Fri Feb 19 14:01:54 CET 2016

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 17:16:13 -0500
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2016, at 10:46 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> >This font issue has nothing to do with Claws.
>
> How did I know someone would say this? ;}
>
> Can you provide any more details?  If the issue isn't with Claws, but
> CM is clearly affected by the change, then where's the problem?  Or
> is it just not a problem and purely by accident it used to look good
> and now it doesn't?   Or is this just going to be one of those
> transom-bugs that just never gets fixed?
>
> I'm trying to get a handle on where to poke at the problem, or just
> to suck up and live with it, but I know nothing about freetype or
> font handling in CM or elsewhere.
>
> Any details, clues, etc. would be appreciated.

AIUI, and I've not bothered to look much into it, Canonical are simply
reverting the patches to provide a cleaner, upstream Freetype. That is
not a problem with Claws.

If you dislike this change, you could for instance take a look at the
Infinality patches to Freetype - there are packages in a couple of PPAs
at Launchpad. I hear they improve font rendering, but I haven't tried
them myself.

The only other options I can think of would be to somehow get the
Ubuntu patches cleaned up and included in upstream Freetype, or
patching and building Freetype yourself.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"