[Users] Again: Account lost

Ralf Hutter rhutter at posteo.de
Sat Feb 6 14:56:31 CET 2016

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 23:54:43 +0100 Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 20:35:54 +0100
> Ralf Hutter <rhutter at posteo.de> wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody,
> > i posted the almost exact issue in august already, and since then
> > it has happened twice again: Claws doesn't show me one of my two
> > email-accounts any more. No error message, nothing happened, it's
> > just gone.
> > I find data about this account, namely the different folders, in the
> > folders cert, imapcache and tagsdb, but not in the files accountrc,
> > folderitemrc and folderlist.xml.
>
> Those files have backup copies (.bak) on the same folder. You can
> check if they're OK and eventually restore the originals.
>
> > It is always an account of riseup.net that disappears. Could that
> > play a role?
>
> Don't see how, unless you are talking about some kind of magic... :)
>
> > It always happens on my laptop. On my desktop computer i've been
> > having the same install for about 3 months now without any problems.
>
> Same OS? Same filesystem? Same disk technology? All that counts.
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> Upgrade: your version is very old.
>
> regards,

No, neither accountrc.bak, nor folderitemrc.bak nor folderlist.xml.bak
contain data from the missing account.
As to OS and filesystem: Yes, i am using the same OS on laptop and
desktop. But can it be that my laptop's disk is the problem? In 2014 i
had an even stranger experience on it. Before using Claws i tried out
Sylpheed. After a couple of weeks my whole email data disappeared! Like
now, i started Sylpheed and there was nothing "in it". It were even both
of my mail accounts that had disappeared. Only a few emails were saved
without a particular account in Mail/draft and Mail/sent. That was one
of the reasons why i stopped using Sylpheed.
So, can it be that the computer is the problem? The Sylpheed problem
happened on Lubuntu, while i am now using Trisquel, an Ubuntu clone,
after a fresh install.
Have a nice week-end.
Ralf