[Users] Not downloading from Gmail

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Dec 9 04:16:10 CET 2016

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 21:36:55 -0500
Pierre Fortin <pf at pfortin.com> dijo:

>On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 15:04:37 -0800 John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>>[14:25:24] POP3< -ERR [AUTH] Web login required:
>>https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754 *** error occurred on
>>authentication *** Authentication failed.
>
>Did you follow that link? There's a link therein "to allow less secure
>apps to access your account"
>https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255 -- check its Option

Of course, that was the first thing I tried before my first post here.
That is, I assume you mean these troubleshooting suggestions:

"Step 2: Try these troubleshooting steps
    Update your email client to the latest version.
    Use an App Password: If you use 2-Step Verification, try signing in
    with an App Password. Allow less secure apps: If you don't use
    2-Step Verification, you might need to allow less secure apps to
    access your account. If you recently changed your Gmail password,
    you might need to re-enter your Gmail account information or
    completely repeat your Gmail account setup on your other email
    client. If the tips above didn't help, visit
    https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha and follow the
    steps on the page. If you use Gmail through your work, school, or
    other organization, visit https://www.google.com/a/yourdoma"

1) I wasn't using 2-step verification, but I did turn it on to see if
it would help. It made no difference.
2) I turned on 'allow less secure apps,' but it made no difference.
3) I changed my password on Google and then in Claws Mail, but it made
no difference.
4) I created a brand new account in Claws Mail, but the new account
cannot connect either.
5) I went to the 'unlock captcha' web page and enabled it, then
immediately tried to connect. This time I got a slightly different
error message:

* Account 'Gmail': Connecting to POP3 server: pop.gmail.com:995...
** Connection closed by the remote host.

And trying it again half an hour later I get the same error message. I
take it this means that the 'unlock captcha' web page had some effect.
Unfortunately there must be something else that is still wrong.

Any more ideas?