[Users] Problem building claws-mail

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 23:48:02 CEST 2016

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 19:13:21 +0100
Bob Williams <linux at karmasailing.uk> wrote:

> I would like to use a more up to date version, so I've followed the
> instructions to git-clone the claws mail repository. However, when I
> do ./autogen.sh or ./configure I get the following error
>
> 19:02 bob at hexagon:~/git_repos/claws> ./autogen.sh
> ./autogen.sh: line 39: aclocal: command not found
> /home/bob/git_repos/claws/configure: line 2: syntax error near
> unexpected token `2.59'
> /home/bob/git_repos/claws/configure: line 2: `AC_PREREQ(2.59)'
>
> What do I need to do to get past this blockage?

You are missing the auto-tools or your versions are too old. e.g.
autoconf, libtool, automake, bison, flex, and so on.

> aclocal: command not found

This is missing libtool

> AC_PREREQ(2.59)

This is the minimum required version of autoconf.

Try the release tarball here: http://www.claws-mail.org/releases.php
It has less requirements than a git build.

with regards

Paul