[Users] Mailbox types changed from IMAP to POP

kardan kardan at riseup.net
Tue Aug 30 20:55:23 CEST 2016

Am Tue, 30 Aug 2016 18:47:29 +0200
schrieb Andrej Kacian <andrej at kacian.sk>:

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:30:21 +0200
> Colin Leroy <colin at colino.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 14:51:21 +0200, Andrej Kacian <andrej at kacian.sk>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > you ran out of disk space, and Claws Mail
> > > was unable to write out some of the config files. There's not
> > > much we can do in this case - we could attempt to revert all the
> > > unsuccessfully-written files to previously saved version, but in
> > > situation with zero free disk space, even that operation is
> > > likely to fail, either partially or completely.
> >
> > We don't do that, we write new configuration files separately, and
> > if it worked, we rename them to overwrite the old ones.
> >
> > This shouldn't happen on disk full, as rename() *should* be
> > atomic.
>
> Yes, that is true, and it works well for individual files. But now we
> have to consider all of them together. That means after a
> config_version upgrade, we need to save them all, and if writing to
> any of them fails, we have to revert that file, plus all of those
> already written to - and not touch any of the yet-unwritten-to files.
> That should still be atomic, but again, *should*.,

That seems reasonable to me. Thanks for alle the explanations!

The best from an user perspective would be a message that the disk is
full and not to crash later (like Tomboy does).

Another related issue are blank or truncated messages in the message
view on diskfull. Usually I am bored by the dialogues asking for a
connection turning to offline mode but in this case I dialogue would
make a lot of sense to make it clear, that there is disk space problem
and no connection error.

best,
Kardan