[Users] Wiped out my Inbox - Recovery?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Apr 23 02:03:19 CEST 2016

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 23:55:35 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> dijo:

>>Is there any way to recover the messages in my Inbox?
>
>Immediately mounting the partition containing the mailbox dir read only
>and using some undelete tool might bring you back some or all messages.
>
>What exactly did the filter rule? POP? IMAP? Etc.?

I have two POP accounts and one IMAP account. The filter was set to
work on the Inbox, which is where mail from the two POP accounts goes.
There is a separate Inbox for the Imap account. The two POP accounts
are set to delete mail from the server after retrieval.

>It can't harm, before testing a filter rule that deletes mails, to
>backup the current mailbox dir. In general you should update all your
>data at least every few days.

Right now my first problem is figuring out where exactly Claws-Mail
stores the messages. The computer is Xubuntu 14.04 up to date and Claws
Mail is 3.9.3. There is a .claws-mail folder in ~/ but none of the
subfolders have enough data in them to be where Claws-Mail is storing
the messages. There are also ~/Mail and ~/Mail.old folders but, again,
neither seems to have the actual messages. I have probably a thousand
e-mails that have been saved in numerous folders over the years,
including on named 'Claws-Mail,' for example. This must amount to a fair
number of bytes, but I can't find the actual messages anywhere.