[Users] {Bug 3630] Ubuntu PPA very much out of date

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Mon Apr 4 02:28:20 CEST 2016

On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 23:40:14 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 22:02:32 +0200, Ricardo Mones wrote:
>>On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 00:38:25 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>>> since Arch follows upstream, IOW it doesn't split into tons of
>>> grotesque packages.
>>
>>You really wanted to mean that it doesn't allow users to select what to
>>install while being unable to build upstream package to provide the
>>user manuals…
>>
>>Oops! ;-)
>
> Hi,
>
> you're confusing official packages that aren't split and simply follow
> the name scheme from upstream, so nobody needs to search for
> dependencies, that don't fit to the names from upstream and the content
> you want or want not install, let alone packages you build yourself,

EPARSE (FWIW I was talking about official packages on Arch site)

> which is much easier to do than building a Debian/Ubuntu package.

Easiness only depends on knowledge. Building is done with just one
command, I don't think it can be done with less, even in Arch :)

> Usually official Arch packages provide everything from upstream, there
> are just a few exceptions, such as kernel packages, that usually are
> split in image, header and docs packages, however, you either could use
> the FreeBSD ports alike Arch build system and build spilt packages or
> you simply use the not split packages from the official repositories
> and assumed you don't want to install everything, you specify what you
> don't want to install by pacman.conf.

That's not explaining why Claws Mail documentation is missing from Arch
packages.

> I'm not aware of anybody who is familiar with building packages for
> Debian/Ubuntu and Arch, who prefers the Debian/Ubuntu package policy
> and management tools over the Arch package policy and
> management tools. There might be one or the other, but I'm quite sure
> most power users and maintainers prefer Arch's package policy and
> package management tools over the Debian/Ubuntu once.

That's your opinion and unrelated to what I said, and seems based on
a well known fallacy¹, BTW.

I prefer opinions backed by facts, but don't have one for this, sorry.

regards,

¹ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance
--
  Ricardo Mones