[Users] Claws completely frozen after the external editor exited

Michael Schwendt bugreporter at abwesend.de
Wed Sep 30 11:29:52 CEST 2015

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 12:10:57 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:

> Francis Moreau wrote:
>
> > sorry forgot the cut&paste ;)
> >
> > the command to start the external editor is "urxvt -e emacs-nox %s"
>
> You should not launch a separate emacs for each document you want to
> edit.

*Why* not?

> Instead, launch an instance of emacs, and use that as a server.
> The client here is emacsclient. Invoke it from clawsmail like so:
>
> emacsclient '%s'
>
> Once upon a time emacs was considered a memory hog ("Eight Megabytes
> And Constantly Swapping!"). Emacsclient was the solution in those days,
> and I think it is still the preferred one.

Is memory shortage the reason why not to launch Emacs multiple times?

> Launch an email into emacs with Ctl-Shift-x. Save from time to time as
> usual in emacs: Ctl-s. Invoke mail mode as usual, M-x mail-mode. Exit
> with Ctl-x #.
>
> I don't know why you use urxvt (I assume it's a variant on rxvt), but
> you shouldn't need to. Emacs over x should do just fine.
>
> That may also solve your crashing problem.

Exiting the external Emacs solves the problem, too.

Claws Mail is just nice and doesn't forcefully quit the external editor
when exiting. You need to quit that editor yourself. I run the old-school
"emacs --no-splash %s" as external editor, btw.