[Users] Claws completely frozen after the external editor exited

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Sep 29 20:10:57 CEST 2015

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 17:34:18 +0200
Francis Moreau <francis.moro at gmail.com> wrote:

> sorry forgot the cut&paste ;)
>
> the command to start the external editor is "urxvt -e emacs-nox %s"

You should not launch a separate emacs for each document you want to
edit. Instead, launch an instance of emacs, and use that as a server.
The client here is emacsclient. Invoke it from clawsmail like so:

emacsclient '%s'

Once upon a time emacs was considered a memory hog ("Eight Megabytes
And Constantly Swapping!"). Emacsclient was the solution in those days,
and I think it is still the preferred one.

Launch an email into emacs with Ctl-Shift-x. Save from time to time as
usual in emacs: Ctl-s. Invoke mail mode as usual, M-x mail-mode. Exit
with Ctl-x #.

I don't know why you use urxvt (I assume it's a variant on rxvt), but
you shouldn't need to. Emacs over x should do just fine.

That may also solve your crashing problem.

Also, it might be a good idea to put the file name indicator inside
single quotes to avoid shell expansion.

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV