[Users] Maintaining local mailboxes

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Sep 15 23:18:40 CEST 2015

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 21:34:39 +0200
Gour <gour at atmarama.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 15:10:45 -0400
> Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> > 2) Via a firewall pinhole, I can access it while on the road. No
> > need to re-sync when I get home.
>
> I was running my own Dovecot running on localhost, but gave up on it
> since it's mor complicated setup and have need to (occasionally)
> access my email from Androidp phone which means that my machine
> should be online 24/7, right?

Abso-lutely! My desktop runs 24/7 anyway.

> > 3) I populate it via a fetchmail->procmail pipe, meaning I can make
> > my filters via procmail recipes. These filters are trivial to back
> > up, and are email client agnostic.
>
> I used getmail/maildrop which I personally find nicer.

Yes, a lot of people prefer those.

> > 5) If Claws-Mail ever transitions into garbage,
>
> It is around for quite some time and so far I never had seen that devs
> are doing rapid changes...
>
> > the way Kmail did a decade ago,
>
> as it happened with KMail, afaict (I never really used it as email
> client).

Yes, I doubt Claws will ever lemming into the rapids like Kmail did,
but once bitten, twice shy: Nowadays I use my email client only as a
window into my IMAP and as an email sender.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust