[Users] Printing message in black - preserving printer system preferences

Andrej Kacian andrej at kacian.sk
Sat Oct 17 23:41:14 CEST 2015

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 23:10:04 +0200
Daniel Hrbáč <talk at advokati.biz> wrote:

> Windows 10, claws 3.13
>
> Good evening,
>
> when message contains cited text or link it is by default shown in blue
> color, email addresses are green, etc. When message is printed, these
> colors are sent to printer and in case of one printer - Lexmark pro901
> - the default setting set by system are overridden and printout is set
>   as color.
>
> When I do turn off use of colors in claws settings, the print is only
> black and white. Also this does not happen with Oki MC351, which is
> also set by system to print in black only and when email from claws is
> printed it is B&W only.
>
> Is there somewhere a setting to tell claws-mail to print only in
> BW/grayscale?

Hi,

there is a config value called "print_use_color", but its value is
provided to Claws Mail by underlying print system.

Whenever you run a print operation, a native printing dialog window is
being called. Naturally, it's different on each operating system, and
based on my testing, in Windows this dialog window is different from
printer to printer, so I guess it is provided by a corresponding
printer driver, or some sort of middleware above that driver.

When the print operation is done, the used print settings are passed
back to Claws Mail, which reads it, and stores some values in its own
configuration for future use, applying them to next printing operation.

Perhaps driver for your Lexmark printer does not handle this correctly.

What you can try is shutting down Claws Mail, modifying your "clawsrc"
file (mine is in c:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Claws-mail) by setting
print_use_color to 0, and then trying to print from Claws Mail to your
Lexmark printer. That way, initial print settings are sent to the
printer driver asking it to not use color. What happens then is
entirely up to that driver.

Regards,
--
Andrej