[Users] Claws completely frozen after the external editor exited

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sun Oct 4 15:32:04 CEST 2015

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 11:29:52 +0200
Michael Schwendt <bugreporter at abwesend.de> wrote:

> > Once upon a time emacs was considered a memory hog ("Eight Megabytes
> > And Constantly Swapping!"). Emacsclient was the solution in those
> > days, and I think it is still the preferred one.
>
> Is memory shortage the reason why not to launch Emacs multiple times?

Yep. And shortage of other resources. Also, back when eight megabytes
was a lot of memory, it took a while to launch Emacs. I see a noticeable
delay launching Emacs on my FIT-PC Is (500 MHz, 512 MB main ram). I
don't use those as desktops, though.

> > Launch an email into emacs with Ctl-Shift-x. Save from time to time
> > as usual in emacs: Ctl-s. Invoke mail mode as usual, M-x mail-mode.
> > Exit with Ctl-x #.
> >
> > I don't know why you use urxvt (I assume it's a variant on rxvt),
> > but you shouldn't need to. Emacs over x should do just fine.
> >
> > That may also solve your crashing problem.
>
> Exiting the external Emacs solves the problem, too.

Ah, good to know.

> Claws Mail is just nice and doesn't forcefully quit the external
> editor when exiting. You need to quit that editor yourself.

Good to know also.

> I run the
> old-school "emacs --no-splash %s" as external editor, btw.

Ah, that would work nicely. It does not launch an xterm, so it's more
elegant than M. Moreau's solution.

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV