[Users] OT: BUG with update marking all email as "read"

»Q« boxcars at gmx.net
Sat May 9 19:59:44 CEST 2015

On Fri, 8 May 2015 23:08:25 -0400
Steven Rostedt <rostedt at goodmis.org> wrote:

>  <20141201190853.04e66c53 at thewildbeast>
>  <20141202102327.2327730d at gandalf.local.home>
>  <20141202175959.7d0f0fb1 at archlinux>

> On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 17:59:59 +0100
> Ralf Mardorf <info.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> > Claws has two features to inform us, by just taking a look at the
> > folders, a little red dot and an exclamation mark in in
> > parentheses.
>
> Oh, I never knew what those were for.

I've cleared away last year's posts to this thread, so I apologize if
I'm repeating something or if I have misunderstood what you want.

AIUI, you need ways to notice whenever there is a list reply to one of
your posts.

The same information Claws examines to tell when there is a reply to
you so it can show the dot and bang, you could use yourself to create
rules to copy all replies to you to a place where you will see them
and/or create notifications.

I have quoted the relevant headers from your own post above.  You made
the post from a machine called grimm, which shows in the Message-ID
(MID) header.  As I reply to it, that grimm MID will be prepended to
the your post's References header to form the References header of my
post.  And it will remain in the References header of any reply to my
post. And replies to replies, etc.

IOW, all descendants of any grimm post will have the string
"grimm.local.home" in their References headers.

So a rule can look for that string in the References header;  when
there's a match it can put a copy where you will see it, make it a
funny color, and/or call an external program to play a loud "You've got
Claws list mail!"

Looks like maybe you would also need the rule to match
"gandalf.local.home" -- I'm guessing that's produced by a different
machine of yours.  (Not important, but there is something weird in your
own headers that makes it look as though you were replying to a gandalf
post when you were really replying to a Ralf (archlinux) post.  I don't
need it confirmed, but I guess you redirected a mail from one machine
to another before replying to it.)

You can also look for string matches in In-Reply-To headers.  They are
similar to References but carry only the MID of their parent, not
grandparents or great-grandparents.

Caveat:  On a list where everyone uses a client which generates
References headers, this approach Just Works.  But when a References
or In-Reply-To headers is *not* generated by even one client, threading
breaks and the precedent/antecedent relationships are all lost.  In
this case, a "please CC me if you reply" note is about the best you can
do.

Please don't CC me.  ;)